Poisons

What to do if you suspect your pet may have ingested something poisonous?

  1. Try not to panic
  2. Move your pet away from the source
  3. Contact us as soon as you can on (01494) 459095
  4. Keep any packaging from the poison and bring it with you to the vets
  5. Do not make attempt to make your pet sick at home, this can cause more harm
  6. Follow veterinary advice only

 

Call us immediately on (01494) 459095
if you think your pet has been exposed to poisons!

The ANIMAL POISONLINE is open 24 hours a day for owners concerned if their pet has been exposed to something that could be potentially poisonous.

Call 01202 509 000

Charges apply visit their website www.animalpoisonline.co.uk

 

Common poisons for DOGS

  • Chocolate
  • Grapes, raisins, sultanas, currants
  • Conkers, acorns
  • Onions, garlic, chives
  • Mushrooms
  • Slug and snail bait
  • Rodenticides (Rat poison)
  • Xylitol (Artificial sweetener)
  • Glow Sticks and fireworks
  • Macadamia nuts

Common poisons for CATS

  • Lilies, Poinsettia
  • Ethylene Glycol (In Antifreeze)
  • Dog spot on flea treatments
  • Paracetamol
  • Decorating materials- paint, varnish, etc.
  • Glow sticks and fireworks
  • Liquid potpourri
  • Xylitol (Artificial sweetener)
  • Bleach and household cleaners

Common poisons for FERRETS

  • Chocolate
  • Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)
  • Grapes, raisins, sultanas
  • Onions, garlic, chives
  • Household cleaners
  • Dishwashing Liquid
  • Rodenticides (Rat poison)

Common poisons for RABBITS

  • Ivy (Hedera helix)
  • Rhubarb
  • Foxglove
  • Glyphosphate herbicide products
  • Rodenticides (Rat poison)

Useful links for further pet poisons